February 10, 2012 Comments Off on *pant, pant*
Every week beginning Sunday evening feels like diving down to touch the bottom of the deep end of the pool and trying to make it up before your lungs start screaming too badly. Don’t get me wrong, it’s mostly great, but trying to get a handle on my schedule right now is tricky, seeing as I’m busier than I have ever been in my whole life, possibly. And so I am ignoring friends’ and family members’ phone calls and emails and neglecting things like music and writing…which will all change soon…when I get a grip. Here’s what I’m doing right now:
- Working! Nine to five, in general. I get up at 7 and somehow never have enough time to get ready before we leave, which is odd. I have to work on that.
- Madrigal Singers, which means three hours (including carpool commute time) every Tuesday and Thursday night.
- Choral Union, in which we are doing Verdi’s Requiem, which I am NOT skipping out on again, considering how blue-balled I was after having to quit the Paris choir. Almost three hours out of my Monday nights.
- Yoga! I’m addicted. I’m doing three hour-long classes a week, and trying to work in one or two more.
- Madison Youth Choirs—I’m interning with two—which means two rehearsals in a row on Sunday night, 6-9.
- “Mu isamaa on minu arm,” the unofficial Estonian national anthem, which I am arranging for SSA and piano for Cantilena. The second verse really needs to be finalized by Sunday, and after that I need to put together a piano part. No pressure!
- I’ve started tutoring Derek in French. The lesson plans don’t have to be extensive because I’m working out of a textbook, but I do want to put a little thought into them and at least read the chapter we’re working on beforehand.
- Erica’s thesis is, sadly, low on my list—because sleep comes first—but I have promised to eventually read her thesis on Lake Michigan bluff erosion and tell her what I think.
- Cooking all the time isn’t a bad thing, but when you’re trying to stick to the South Beach Diet it takes up quite a bit more time, now that I can’t just dump half a pound of pasta into water and figure out something to put over it in the time it takes for it to cook.
- Finally, when I have finished everything else, I really need to finish Wendy’s song cycle. I made great headway when I was dogsitting, but shortly after that my schedule got shot to hell and I dropped it. Upside: Now I really want to work on it!
As you can see, there is very little time between the items on this list for things like R&R (reading & relaxation). Mostly things are good, but a couple evenings alone with nothing to do are looking pretty wonderful right now. Excuse me while I get right to that.